Thursday, June 12, 2008

Auntie Kelsey's graduation






Commencement Speech
by Kelsey Faul

So this is what it feels like to be on the edge of the world. Infinity stretches before us, and we can't even comprehend the beauty of it. Every step we take weaves the fabric of our lives in a new direction. It's both exhilarating and absolutely terrifying.

Life seems to be changing all around us, but maybe we are the only ones who are changing. We have new dreams that are just too big for this place. Someone wise, with 800 years of experience, once said that, "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future it is." As you look ahead, don't get too caught up with the idea of tomorrow. Instead, relish in your achievement, actively love the people you are with, and enjoy life. We only get to feel like this once.

In retrospect, I have on regret: that I didn't really get to know all of you. I had my prejudices and they held me back. But today, all I can think about is how proud I am of everyone who is graduating. You are accomplished, caring people. I admire your courage and determination, as well as your vivacity and irrepressible spirit. That spirit is what defines Guajome, where being eccentric and quirky is normal. If you want proof, just look at the person next to you... or just look at me.

Who you are right now will soon be lost forever; as you become new people, I hope that you will carry that spark of the unorthodox into everything you do. Remember that we are strong, we are intelligent, and we are full of life. We are the class of 2008.

Thank you.

No comments: